Why we do what we do
“Working with passion and integrity to bring out the best in people”
is our mission statement
Suzanne Hall (psychologist) and Ken McMaster (social worker) met during a series of working group sessions amongst services working in the abuse arena. Suzanne was working for child protective services at the time while Ken was managing to community-based organisations, both working with men in the family violence and sex offender area. A logical fit existed in bringing both parts of the jigsaw together. This ensured that the voice of those harmed was not lost in conversations around intervention. This collaboration saw the development of Hall McMaster and Associates (HMA).
We are passionate about leaving a legacy for future generations. Both of us have seen the limitation that abusive practices has on the lives of women, men and children. We firmly believe that abuse has no place in family life. We have therefore dedicated our work to supporting workers, be they psychologists, social workers, or support workers, to be cooked with the best skills possible to engage and partner with individuals and families to break cycles of abuse of practice.
Underneath our mission of “Working with passion and integrity to bring out the best in people” is a set of values that we believe encapsulate what HMA stands for.
We base it around the word RESPECT.
- RESPONSIBILITY – being accountable and responsible for how we are and what we do (and don’t do) is central to being part of HMA. We have high standards of integrity in all things and expect the best of our people
- ENTHUSIASM – we are passionate about what we do. We ensure that the legacy we leave is a positive, useful and pragmatic one
- SAFETY – we believe that people need to be safe to take risks. We create safety at all levels of our work including personal, professional and organisational
- PARTNERSHIP – we bring our experience, practice and knowledge to enhance the work of others, as they enhance ours. We are committed to long-term engagement with organisations and building enduring relationships that can stand the test of time
- EXPLORATION – we push to explore the best approaches based upon the best information (evidence) available. We take risks with our ideas and practice, always searching for more effective ways to manage issues
- COLLABORATION – we value others and what they bring to the table. We walk with people to create better and more fulfilling lives, work practice and organisational structures
- TAKING ACTION – we are active players in making a difference and leaving our families, communities and society better than how we found them. We are committed to change at multiple levels – personal, professional, community and structural