Motivational Interviewing – Helping People Change
An interactive and engaging online MI course for Key Workers
“This way this course is put together makes it a highly accessible and practical tool for anyone wanting to learn how to better communicate with prisoners and ultimately help them to change. I had always considered this stuff to be for ‘academics’ only but this course has altered my perception. Now I can do it as well! Thanks”
The MI Helping People Change eLearn course provides staff with the foundational Motivational Interviewing (MI) skills needed to help any client make positive changes. Staff learn how to engage quickly with clients and elicit change talk, and in doing so ultimately help people to help themselves. In addition, staff learn how to effectively manage sustain talk as well as various forms of resistance, and, in doing so, save time and energy by focussing on the interactions that really matter.
By utilising over an hour of media, various exercises and activities, and regular challenges and quizzes, staff are kept interested and engaged and are not only encouraged to reflect on their progress, but are also provided with opportunities to apply their new skills in real settings. In addition, an optional innovative email follow up system supports on-going learning transfer for three months after the completion of the course.
What the course series covers
- An introduction to MI including a brief look at motivation itself
- The underlying spirit of MI and why it is so vital in resolving ambivalence and changing behaviour
- The four fundamental processes of MI which include engaging, focussing, evoking and planning
- Recognising and working with change and sustain talk to build and consolidate a client’s commitment to change
- The core skills (OARS) needed to guide clients toward change
- Various techniques and strategies the MI practitioner can utilise to assist clients to make positive changes
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Identify and understand what Motivational Interviewing is and how it works
- Analyse and differentiate between MI and non-MI practice
- Interpret and implement a key selection of motivational skills and techniques
- Apply Motivational Interviewing skills and tools in their interactions with clients to elicit change talk
- Evaluate their own practice with regards to Motivational Interviewing.
- Covers the essential MI skills and theory at a foundational level
- Up skill a large number of staff with one effective, easy to use, enjoyable resource
- Fits with your schedule. Complete as a full course or utilise specific sections to target key skills
- Complete exclusively online or in combination with in room training (ask us about in-room training)
- Blended learning provides the perfect platform for those unfamiliar with online learning (ask us more about our blended solutions)
- Can be supported on your LMS or ours
- Offline version available for closed systems
- Support training (including TTT) available upon request
- Licensing options available
HMA offers a number of licencing options for this e-Learning package.
|$120 (excl. GST)||$4,800 (excl. GST)
= $96 pp
|$23,400 (excl. GST)
= $78 pp
What does my license cover?
- Registration fee for the Totara LMS site and administration costs to get you started
- Unlimited access to the modules for a twelve month period
- 4 months of on-going practice reminders to help consolidate participants learning
- Regular updates to the package
- Samples of other packages that may be of interest
For large workplaces the packages can also be loaded onto the organisations own LMS as it is a SCORM compliant package.
Talk to us about we can support you and your staff
For further information speak with an HMA staff member today